quotes to remember...

Monday, May 24, 2010
"'I told one of the volunteer translators that I wanted to do something nice for him before I left, 'Why,' he said,'you are a volunteer too.' 'Yes,' I thought, 'I am...but I'm going home at the end of this, and this is your home.'" ~Tammy an RN from CA.

"White is so good," Juanito said grabbing my hand. "Black is bad, white good." He muttered looking down at our arms. 'No!' I said, 'Black is beautiful! You are beautiful.' ~Juanito is about 13 years old.

"I figure if the worst thing I leave here with is scabies I'm doing pretty good. " ~Tammy

"I always think I'll make a difference here, but the people always bless me." ~Michellin, a Haitian American.

(After being taught to squeeze the mango until soft and drink the juice out of the hole in the top) "But the center is still hard?!?" "Uhhh, that's the seed, Jessica." ~yeah, that was me.

"If it had fallen on my head, I'd be dead." ~elderly man with a broken and infected leg.

Luke (after stopping at it three times): "We found the one stop light in Port-au-Prince! ...wait, (to driver) is this the one light in Port-au-Prince?" Driver: "Yes."

"...okay, so really....how many times did you flush the toilet paper...?"

Patricia: "We're going to visit ADRA!!! Me: "Ok, what's ADRA!?! I ain't no Adventist!" Patricia: "Oh, right. Adventist Disaster Relief Agency. And you will be when we're through with you."

"A couple days after the quake there were over a thousand people living on the hospital grounds, one morning someone started singing, 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus.' It poured through the whole place voice by voice. Wow, I thought. What a friend we have in Jesus." ~ Dr Scott Nelson

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess! Your blog is awesome! Kudos to you for keeping your fam and friends informed. (Yeah, so Im still working on the journaling...lol.. my last post was Sunday the 16th). Will definitely keep you posted on the next trip :-)