5 ways to lose your nursing license.

Monday, May 17, 2010
5. Write prescriptions...tetanus shot anyone?
4. Treat over twenty patients (wound care) without reading a single order or even looking at a chart.
3. Regularly fill prescriptions with a different drug than what was written.
2. Carry morphine in your pocket and give patients a little extra when no one is looking and...

1. Tonight I was sitting on the hospital steps and a lady approached me with a bag of medicine (vials of pain medicine)she told me through the translator that she was in pain and needed someone to give her a shot. He asked if I could do it. "umm, I don't know this drug and....where did she get this?" He told me that she had gotten it from the hospital for her pain (I hope that was true). I said, "okay and she wants me to give her a shot?" "Yes." "Okay, one minute." I ran inside to the pharmacy to "get an alcohol swab," located a drug guide and looked up the drug. It was an IM (given in the muscle shot) and an NSAID...something similar to Tordol (the same class as Advil but stronger). I checked the dosing to make sure I wasn't going to kill her. When I walked back outside she had already dropped her pants(on the hospital steps!) ready for the shot in her butt! Hilarious..."Wow, I thought, only in Haiti."

1 comments:

Jonathan Hillyard said...

Hahahaha, I am sitting in my office and just about fell out of my chair reading this. Thank you. I look forward to reading every day!

-JHill