home.

Thursday, May 20, 2010





Twenty eight days ago I sat on the roof of my Uncle's beach house in the Florida Keys looking at the ocean, towards what I imagined was Haiti, and wondered if I would ever get there. I had been signed up with three different organizations since January 14th trying to get there. They had all fallen through.

I wondered many times if it was God telling me not to go. That despite the strangely strong calling I felt towards the disaster maybe He didn't want me there. Maybe I couldn't handle it.

I don't think I ever believed that I was going to Port au Prince until our plane landed at the tiny airport. It was strange how familiar the place felt (due to my time in TZ) and how incredibly at peace I was being there. The first two days were frustrating and overwhelming as many of you have read, and I wondered what in the world I had come to do.

On the sixth and last day I got it. After loading our critically ill patient into the Land Rover turned ambulance I was finally understanding. After we got her situated with medications in hand and vital signs visible and stable I had a moment to stop and notice what I was doing. It was odd, but I knew that this was what I was meant for, this was why I had come. This was why I had changed my major from theatre to nursing, gone to summer school to catch up, failed a class my first year in the program...and not given up. This was why God had led me to extern in the emergency room for a year and a half. This was why I had stayed in Macon at a trauma center. This was why I had chosen to work in the Surgical Trauma ICU over the other four areas of critical care. I never knew why...and had often thought I may have made the wrong choice.

When beginning nursing school I never wanted to be a nurse in the United States. The last two years have been wonderful. I have loved and liked and disliked my job. I have struggled and cried and laughed and screamed. I have learned.

I attended the Urbana mission conference in 2006 hoping to find a way to do nursing overseas. I met a missionary nurse from India who told me to absolutely not go on the mission field until I knew how to be a nurse. I knew she was right, so I didn't.

Now, four years later, I know how to be a nurse. I'm not a great one yet, there is still so much to learn. But when a sat hovered over my patient speeding down the streets of Port-au-Prince, dodging people and pigs and rubble, in 100 degree heat wearing scrubs filthy and wet with sweat hoping to get a woman whose name I did not even know to a facility that could keep her alive, I knew that I was finished. Finished waiting to be ready. Finished preparing for some great unknown. Finished wondering if I could ever live and work and grow and serve in a third world country. I knew that I could.

The last twenty four hours have been full of tears and questions and longing and missing. They have also been full of hope. I realized today while driving the 1.5 hours from Atlanta to my house in Macon that there was no reason for me to be so sad. There is nothing keeping me from quitting my job, selling my possessions, and moving to Haiti or Tanzania or Honduras. There isn't a lack of education, experience or support making me insecure.

I simply have to decide. Decide through prayer and petition and council and advice, but there are no limitations on what God can do with and through me. How amazing. The God we serve is so huge and so challenging, so hopeful and so direct. He's controlling and jealous and guiding and fulfilling. He loves being glorified.

And He is. Even through destruction and death and trauma. Through earthquakes and orphans and sickness and deformity. I don't always know how, but I know that it's true. I know because I have seen it.

7 comments:

Justin Scott said...

HELL YEAH!!!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

wow, I loved reading all about your trip. I am sure it is so hard to leave and not fix all the problems, especially when there are so many things left to do! Wonder what this is preparation for???
I remember when we went and worked at a medical clinic in Mexico. I helped in the pharmacy just to organize and sort through the semi - to - really expired donated meds. It was a learning experience for sure. We had one day when they wanted us to sight see and shop instead of work...I wanted to stay and work because there was so much to be accomplished, but they made me go with the group. I was bummed. I have since wanted to go back often!!
One thing that amazed me was how they welcomed dirty muddy kids into their church building for VBS...getting mud on everything...but here in America, we wouldn't dare let those dirty kids in our buildings (shrines) and I thought WOW, this is crazy! And when they all went home, the pastor rolled out a garden hose and washed out the building after we stacked all of the plastic chairs up along the walls...simple!

Amanda said...

I second that comment, with tears for what God has taught and showed you this past week and for the courage it has taken to realize all that. I can't wait to find out where God is taking you! I love you.

Valerie said...

This is what I prayed. 'You're right, you do have support: His and ours. I love you. I'm humbled that you're my daughter. Contact Luke.

Bekah F. said...

Ok, you've got me crying! This is so beautiful, Jess. Can't wait to talk soon. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes it is easier to see God's direction of things in other people's lives than it is our own. Its hard to be objective about yourself. I can see how everything in your life, or at least all that I can remember, has prepared you for these things. You are a person of paradoxes: steady yet always finding yourself in some kind of adventure; tough yet full of compassion; creative yet practical; beautiful yet comfortable with necessary grime. I've been around a while, and those are rare qualities. God has given you incredible gifts...the rest of the stuff is just details. M6:33
Dad