transport.

Thursday, August 19, 2010
Today I rode on a moto. I discovered it’s much like a magic carpet. If you keep your hands and arms inside and your eyes closed you’ll come out alright. There aren’t really taxis in Haiti. There are the infamous taptap’s which look exactly like and function the same way as dala-dala’s in Tanzania. They are brightly colored pickup trucks and vans with open backs. People pile in and hang on for dear life. You bang on the rusty metal top to let the driver know that you want out. I’m sure I’ll ride in one eventually. But today we opted for the moto. My good friend Frantz’s mother runs an orphanage about two miles from the hospital. We had a surplus of diapers and Pedialite delivered this week so Frantz and I went to deliver some.

A moto is basically what Georgians would call a dirt bike. Some are actual motorcycles. But the drivers roam the streets and you simply yell out “moto” to get one to stop. You climb aboard after haggling over the price and distance of your destination.

Brooke has been taking them across the city for a few months and has gotten comfortable with it. I wouldn’t do it by myself quite yet.

I ended up sandwiched between Frantz and the moto driver and decided that as long at my knees were tucked in as close as possible I would survive. I wasn’t really scared, but quite convinced that we were going to take out a few children and even a goat. We never did though. The motos swerve between cars fearlessly and even take uneven terrain with ease. I was pretty surprised.

I am slowly adapting to the Haitian way of life. Having the power out for over eight hours today made me realize that even with little resources we take many blessings for granted.

Andre, who has had a fractured arm for seven months finally had his surgery today. He has come to clinic at least every week that I have been here, sometimes twice a week and between physician preference and just time he was put off until today. I can’t wait to talk to him tomorrow and see how he feels. He is such a sweet man.

This week has been pretty slow for me as I haven’t felt well and have actually managed to take a nap almost everyday. It’s hard for me to not feel like I should be working every hour, but I’m starting too relax.

Some major bridges have been built between the ex-pat staff and the Haitians. The nurses and two of the Haitian MD’s round with us every morning now. It takes a lot of time, but is so beneficial to build those relationships.

We have to empower the Haitians to take charge of their hospital. Especially the nurses in caring for their patients. They don’t take ownership the way American nurses do (or ICU ones at least). It’s a shame. But education and just offering to help them has made so much difference. Baby steps…but all in the right direction.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

YOU TOLD ME YOU WOULDN'T RIDE ON A MOTO! mom :) (Good thing God's got you in hand.)

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britney said...

The moto sounds like fun!!! I'm glad you are relaxing, and I am SO glad God uses people like you to help others. I don't know anything about nursing, but just hanging out with you it seems you are a great person for teaching the Hatians how to help each other and live self sufficiently. God is amazing!!!

Amanda said...

ha I love that you rode it!! I want to ride on the truck. Glad you got some naps in this week! Can't wait to read over the next few months and hear of you riding one. I'd be scared.

Jason B. said...

Jessica,
Thanks for keeping us updated. We are reading your blogs and the MC is praying for you and those surrounding you in Haiti.

Jason B

Leonard Kozak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.