one month.

Saturday, August 14, 2010



Well if you ask David he says that it hasn't been a month yet. Since I arrived on the 16th of July. But I've been here for four weeks and I consider that a month.

It's been absolutely insane. But I have no doubt that this is where I am supposed to be. This month has been hard but I have no doubt that it was the easiest of the six. When August ends there will only be three Americans here full time. That makes me kinda nervous. But God has called everyone else to amazing things. Brooke and Luke have both taken jobs in Haiti with different organizations, and David is returning to beautiful CA to finish school.


Last night I sat on the hospital roof with mountains to my right and back, the ocean in front of me and the sunset to my left. It was the first time I think I've had silence in a month. I was able to think clearly and sing and pray. I was able to feel like God was surrounding me.

Everyday is difficult and often disheartening. But I'm learning how to deal and work around obstacles that make our jobs difficult. I'm seeing that God has a small group of us bridging this gap for the hospital...between long term physicians that are really going to turn this place around. We often feel like we're completely strung out and unable to see much good come from our efforts, but I have no doubt that God is smiling and going to reward our work.

I've met some incredibly faithful men and women, Haitians and Americans, Canadians and Brits all here serving, sweating and hoping that this country is going to turn around.






Haitian people are beautiful and frustrating. Persistent and committed. Eager and often selfless. More than anything they are patient. I've had patients wait on cots with one meal a day for five days to have their bones fixed. They rarely ever complain. I freak out when my patient has been told not to eat (for three days in a row) and never made it to the OR. But they usually just say okay, I've been waiting for seven months...what another few days? It amazes me.

I'm not patient. The Haitian people are trying to help me be. I'm a slow learner but they are very committed.

I realized yesterday that I've been here awhile and still speak little if any Creole...it's because I don't make or have time to study. But I really believe I need to make it a priority. How do you show love to people you can't communicate with? It's very difficult.

Pray for that. Pray for wisdom in friendships and strength to get everything done. Pray for patience and peace. I don't miss home yet. I am often tired and frustrated but rarely unhappy. God's grace is enough and He is the sustainer.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

your heart makes me smile and cry and praise God. I love you. keep it up and try to get to the roof more often.
praying for you to be able to speak multiple sentences by the end of the month.

Britney said...

We are still praying! Thanks for letting us know the specific things we need to be praying for.

Unknown said...

You are a amazing women and I am so grateful to have been in Haiti with you in May. I am sorry to hear that Luke and David are leaving. Try to have some conversations with the translators away from working in only Creole.
I enjoy your blogs and am so happy to see Baby Joseph is doing well. Hey do you think they need us to come back and work again?
Cyndi from the Ukiah CA team