right this minute

Thursday, July 22, 2010
I'm sitting in the staff break room trying to decide what to write. Then it occurred to me that I just need to type what has happened to me the last hour.

Let's start with this minute. Jean Junior, a seven year old HIV+ patient is sitting on my lap. His father died in the middle of the night yesterday leaving him an orphan. We all love him so dearly that it's hard to want to find him somewhere to go...but we know that he must. He needs treatment. He needs adoption. Who adopts HIV positive children? Amy just pulled a suitcase full of donated clothes out of storage....Junior is going through them now.

He only has what's on his back.

About 30 minutes ago, Kristen, a third year pediatric resident from Loma Linda came up to me frustrated to death asking for new batteries for the pulse oximeter. She has a 3 month old in the ER right now struggling to breath. "I've done everything I can do, but he's wearing out and is going to die if I don't intubate him. I talked to Brooke and the only hospital with vents for baby's is full. This is so frustrating. I feel guilty....but I've done all that I can. Should I just intubate and bag him?? But we can't bag him for four days.....is this really all I can do!?"

A baby has died everyday that I've been here.

10 minutes later she returned, "Jessica!! God is so good. The Haitian MD in the ER knows of another facility and they will even come get the baby! If everything goes well he can be intubated there tonight!"

God is good.

About an hour ago Dr. Pat and the ortho team finished their second case of the day (another frustration as there are 5-7 patients on the schedule but the Haitian anesthesiologists won't show up till noon and try to leave by 4pm). The operation was on a lady whose ankle has been severely dislocated since the earthquake. She has been walking on the side of her foot.

Hopefully tomorrow she will walk close to normal for the first time in 6 months.

Ighor is sitting next to me waiting for me to finish so that I can have my Creole lesson. Pray that this comes easily. I cannot explain how much easier my day would be if I can master this language.

How amazing it is that our God understands them all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, I can not begin to explain how proud I am of you and so grateful of your efforts, energy, and emotion towards the people of Haiti, especially at HAH. I pray that God continues to show His presence to you even more than you could ever imagine! HE IS A GREAT GOD! Keep the faith and Keep smiling :-) Will definitely let you know when we're headed your way....

Britney said...

Wow... and this is just your first week?!? I can't imagine what is going on there, but you are making it so much more real to us. We will keep praying for you and all of the Haitians.
P.S. Jason said, "post something positive" haha, you are making him tear up :-)

Valerie said...

I love you.