encouragement.

Friday, July 30, 2010
Joseph in May.









Joseph Stephen was a in-patient when I first came to Haiti on May 12th. He had been admitted in January following the quake and had a severe case of osteomylitis. If you've been here you probably met him. He almost NEVER smiled and if a nurse attempted to do anything to him at all he would scream bloody murder. He was given every toy and balloon available by many teams but still no smiles.

When I arrived two weeks ago he was an out-patient in the tents on campus waiting to have his cast taken off! (external fix to cast). He had it off last week. Now I can't walk outside without him yelling my name and covering me with hugs and smiles. His leg is severely scarred, but he has it!

We plan on discharging him "home" on Monday....just not sure where home will be. I've only ever seen his 12ish year old sister.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

AWESOME story...one among many that steals your heart and reminds you of why you are there!

Bekah F. said...

They are so precious! Send him home to me!

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica,

I am so HAPPY. You have made my day!!!! I cared for Joseph for a short time I was there. I was a part of the Ukiah team.I discovered him in the peds unit and set him up for x-rays and also his second surgery. My heart was broken when the ortho resident said his leg would most likely be amputated. GREAT news!

Laura Wedderburn MD

Jonathan Hillyard said...

This kid needs to be on video. His story is so awesome I think hearing it would move people to ... well ... move. I'll be there next week to film his documentary ... k thanks.