"from life's first cry, til final breath, Jesus commands my destiny"

Sunday, August 31, 2008
I had one of those "life is short moments" on Friday. My hospital plays a lullaby over the intercom system every time a baby is born. It's pretty cool. It makes you stop and remember that there is new life everyday, despite the death that you usually have to deal with in my unit. On Friday the lullaby played twice in a row, meaning that someone had twins. The ironic part was that one of the nurses on my unit had taken her patient off of life support a few minutes earlier. Several nurses where watching the heart monitor as his vital signs decreased. It was so strange.

On the floor below me two beautiful babies had been brought into the world while a door away there was an old man breathing his last.

Sometimes I wonder why we think that anything of this world matters. The only eternal things are the word of God and souls of men, right? How often I forget that. The hospital is a constant reminder though. I just wish I was better at doing something about it. I wish I was of those people who lives like every day matters. I think I'm gonna work on it.

1 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

So I started working in the ED today and our hospital does the same thing with the lullabies. At 10:05 there was a lullaby followed by a code blue at 10:15 followed by a lullaby at 10:25. I immediately thought of you because I read your blog the other day. So crazy how that happens sometimes. I love that we can go through these things together...